Monday, May 9, 2011

The Apple Effect: Does Consumerism Kill?

I'd like to take a break from my usual lighthearted posts and be serious, if I may. I read an article today that struck me in an alarming way. I've always had a particular view about how consumer-hungry North Americans and other Western Worlders are, but this particular article really drives home the point that excessive consumerism (and materialism) is doing societal damage that most of us don't even realize.

For those of you who don't follow me on Twitter (Shame on you! I am here - http://twitter.com/QKmbrGames - on the Twittersphere), the article I am referring states that workers in Chinese Apple factories (that's Apple, maker of iPods, iPhones and iPads, not garden variety apples) are being forced to sign pledges stating that they will not commit suicide. The article goes on to say that "at least 14 workers at Foxconn factories in China have killed themselves in the last 16 months as a result of horrendous working conditions", while even more have either failed attempts at suicide or have been stopped beforehand in other Apple supplier plants.

Are The "Evil" Corporations Responsible?

So here's my question. Who is ultimately responsible for this unfortunate trend? Although Apple has a code of conduct in place for their supplier plants, are they doing enough to enforce them, or dare I say it, do they look the other way?

Many have claimed that Apple is pure evil. Is it true, or is that label attached to any large corporation?

Now, before I start getting hate mail from Apple fans, let me just say that I own an iPhone myself and love it. Having said that, though, the iPhone I have is a 3G, and I'm perfectly happy with it - which brings me to my next point.

Is the Consumer-Hungry Public Responsible?


We've all seen or heard about it. Thousands of people lining up for hours or even days to get their hands on the latest gadget, only to line up again 6 months or a year later for a slightly improved version of that gadget. A lot of us are fortunate enough to be able to do this time and time again, but do we ever stop and wonder what kind of effect our rampant consumerism as a nation is doing to society? Do we ever think that although we have to stand in line in the freezing cold for 5 hours to get that shiny new tablet, there are people on the other side of the world suffering to the point that they just want to end it all just so we can enjoy our new toy for a few months before it starts collecting dust?

I know it sounds bleak, but it's happening. Are we to blame?

Charlie Sheen would say that this girl is WINNING! But, at what cost?

Are the Factories Responsible?


While some of these factories are claiming that excessive overtime is voluntary and conditions are improving, there are some very disturbing statistics and points in plain view. Anti-suicide nets have been placed around buildings, workers are allegedly not allowed to speak to each other, are forced to stand for 12 hour shifts, are humiliated in front of their colleagues for performing poorly, and during peak production times, are only given one day off in thirteen. All this for a meager wage that can barely support their families.

Anti-suicide netting. It doesn't get any more blunt than this.

If you ask me, it is a viscous cycle that feeds into itself endlessly. Consumers crave new products which increases demand. As demand skyrockets, the company increases supply. As the need for supply increases, factories force their workers to put in long hours in poor conditions. The company and factories make money, the consumers are happy, and that drives them them craving more and more innovation. Rinse and repeat. The only losers in this situation are the factory workers, and until more people realize what's going on, this cycle will continue.

So, when you're standing in line for that iPhone 5 in the not too distant future, at least take a moment and think about what goes into making this gadget for you. And when you do finally turn it on for the first time, do what I do and appreciate the hell out of it. Try not to feed into that vicious cycle of consumerism if you can help it. Not only does it bring out the worst in people, but it is contributing to unimaginable pain and suffering half a world away.

Here's a link to the article for anyone who wants to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment